Personal Information Protection and Privacy
What is personal information?
Personal information is information about an individual or information that allows an individual to be identified. It does not include "business card information", that is, name, business address or telephone number of an employee of an organization.
How does the Academy collect personal information?
We collect personal information that is voluntarily provided to us by our customers, members, sponsors, web site users and the public in general when they contact us via telephone, e-mail, web browser, or in person. We may also collect personal information from our business partners and other third parties who have agreed to obtain the consent of the person the information pertains to before disclosing the information to us. The Academy may also collect personal information through the following means:
Photographs, Motion Pictures and Videos. Photographs, motion pictures and videos taken in public areas at Academy events including but not limited to Canadian Screen Week.
Web beacons. To assess the effectiveness of promotional and marketing e-mails we send, we may attach a web beacon to the email that provides us with confirmation when the recipient opens the e-mail. This only occurs if the recipient's computer supports such technology.
Why does THE ACADEMY collect your Personal Information?
The Academy may collect personal information about you and use it for the following reasons:
• To provide products and services to you, to acknowledge your support or donation and to provide that information to the Canada Revenue Agency and to contact you when necessary for these purposes.
• To administer your submissions and applications for our programs, events and award show(s).
• When you register to become a member of The Academy we use your information to create and manage your member account.
• For marketing purposes. We may use your contact information to send you emails about promotions, surveys, contests and special events or providing other marketing information to you. Promotional e-mails are intended to inform you of new or unique opportunities, events or special deals that are available from the Academy. You can opt not to receive these emails from us by either clicking "unsubscribe" at the bottom of the email when you receive it or by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org that includes your e-mail address and a request that you not receive our promotional and/or informational e-mails including updates on membership and events.
• To improve the quality of your visit to our web site. We may use electronic information such as "cookies" to improve your use of our web site. This data allows us to streamline your ability to navigate our web site and develop featured programs and content that will be of interest to our customers and members and web site visitors.
• To provide a secure and safe environment for our visitors, members and employees.
• To co-operate with law enforcement and to protect against violations of criminal or civil laws.
• Photographic, video and film cameras are only used to (a) protect The Academy, its customers and employees against security issues, including potential violations of civil and or criminal laws and (b) for our marketing purposes with respect to The Academy events and services.
• We may use your personal information to respond when you submit a question or suggestion to us, or when you request assistance with your membership, submissions, sponsorship and/or donations.
The Disclosure of Personal Information
How the ACADEMY Protects Your Privacy
The internet is, by its nature, inherently open and subject to interception of information. We cannot guarantee that information you provide to us over the internet or otherwise will not be intercepted by third parties while it is being communicated by means that are outside of our control.
Changes to the Policy
The Academy reserves the right to modify or supplement this policy at any time. If we make any changes, we will post the changes on our website and will make the revised policy and changes available upon request to the Academy Privacy Officer.
Verifying and Amending your Personal Information
The Academy tries to ensure that all personal information about you that is in our possession is accurate, complete and up-to-date. To enable us to do so, please inform the person to whom you provided your personal information of any change to that information. You can inquire about, access and review your personal information held by The Academy and make corrections to it. Please contact us at email@example.com for assistance with these matters.
Requests for Access
If you have any questions, or wish to access your personal information, please contact us:
The Academy of Canadian Cinema & Television
501 – 49 Ontario Street
Toronto, Ontario M5A 2V1
416.366.2227 ext. 250